Skip to main content

Drowned footballer’s children still expecting Atiku scholarships — Brother


A 31-year-old footballer in Bayelsa State, Peremobowei Ernest, reportedly drowned on October 19, 2022, after rescuing five passengers of a boat that capsized in Yenagoa. His younger brother, Ebisine, shares his grief with ALEXANDER OKERE of The PUNCH.
Tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Ebisine Ernest. I am 25 years old. I am a footballer. I play for a grassroots football club in Port Harcourt. It is called the Cardinal Football Club.

How are you related to the late footballer,Peremobowei Ernest?

He was my elder brother. I am the last child of my mother.

How many siblings do you have?

My mother is the first wife of my father. She had 10 children. We lost one of my elder brothers when I was a baby.

out of the water. He said when he could not find Peremobowei, he started shouting that somebody was missing but before people came and started using boats to search for Peremobowei, he was already gone.

Do you know who the other passengers are?


I know two of them. One of them was like an assistant to him, always helping him out.

Where was he headed on that day?

He had just finished working with his tricycle and was returning home.

Did you have any conversation with him before he left for work or on his way home?

He called me the night before the incident happened. He usually fondly called me “last born” and sends money to me without telling me he would. He said, “Last born, I sent you something (money). Have you received it?” When I checked and saw it, I called back to inform him. That was the last time I heard from him.

heard that my mother passed out when she was told.

Has your late brother been buried?


Yes. We buried him on December 10 (2022) in our home in Delta State. It (the burial) went well. There were representatives from his (football) club. His friends were also there. It was a Christian burial. We made branded T-shirts that had his photo and favourite jersey number.

What was his favourite jersey number?

His favourite jersey number was 14.

Are his children aware that he has passed on?

No. His eldest child, a boy, is just three years old and the girl is one year old.

Have they been asking about their dad?

Yes, especially the boy. Each time he sees me, the first thing he says is, “Uncle, I want to meet daddy.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria out of U-17 World Cup

JUST IN: NNPC discovers oil in Nasarawa

Osun masqueraders, Muslims reach truce ahead of Egungun festival